Can you believe it’s Monday again?! I just finished a long work day and I am exhausted. I don’t know about you, but I started counting down the minutes until I could put on my pj’s around 4pm this afternoon!
It seems that Monday evening is the turning point every week. Do I have food to eat for a healthy dinner? If the answer is no, the rest of the week seems to spiral out of control. But If I can answer yes, I feel oddly motivated to make it through the week. It’s taken me a couple years of back and forth, but I have found that the only way for me to start my week out on the right path is to food prep the weekend before. Sounds awful right?
Well, actually, I have grown to enjoy my food prep time. I put a cheesy TV show on in the background, and start chopping! I try to prepare two protein options and several different vegetable options to mix and match throughout the week.
What I prepped this week:
1 Crock pot chicken
- I filled my crock pot with veggies (onions, celery, carrots), garlic, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, and water. After about 12 hours I pulled all of the chicken off the bone and continued to cook the broth. I ended up with a mason jar of bone broth and a good size container of shredded chicken.
- I chopped celery, carrots, and onions and sautéed with a can of organic diced tomatoes, fresh basil, salt, pepper, oregano, and thyme. Once cool I mixed 2/3 of the mix with ground turkey, salt, one egg, and a crumbled leftover paleo biscuit (made with Tigernut and Cassava flour). Once all combined and in the loaf pan I topped the loaf with rest of the veggie mix and baked for an hour or so.
- I use a recipe that I found on Pinterest to make Paleo tortillas. (Whole Foods sells pre-made Cassava Flour tortillas, but they are a bit pricey, so I try to make them instead.)
- Baked one spaghetti squash with olive oil and salt
Tomato cucumber salad
- Chopped cucumbers and grape tomatoes cut in half. I squeezed a lime and added salt. Done!
Cleaned and sliced mushrooms
Prepared Salad fixings
I was so exhausted when I got home this evening that I was relieved that food was prepared and ready to go. For dinner my daughter and I had shredded chicken tacos using the prepped chicken and paleo tortillas, tomato cucumber salad, and mashed an avocado for a quick guacamole. So easy and a great dinner! I was so hungry I ate before I remembered to snap a picture! Next time….